Minetest is a game engine to create various games.
The basic idea of each game is always the same:
The player is thrown into a huge world made out of cubes. Most of the time, these cubes make the landscape and these blocks can be removed and placed almost entirely freely. Using the collected items, new tools and other items can be crafted. Games in Minetest can, however, be much more complex than this.
Minetest can be played alone or online together with multiple players.
Minetest is usually bundled with a simple default game, named “Minetest Game” (see screenshots).
Minetest Game is a simple and peaceful “sandbox”, this means there are no goals and no built-in enemies. The player can explore the surface and hitchhike through grasslands, forsts, deserts and jungles, explore the seas with a boat or swim and dive, and collect various materials and craft tools from them. Using a pickaxe the player can dig into the deeps and collect precious minerals, but a careless player can also be cooked by lava. Or the player could become a farmer or forester and plant trees and crops. Almost every block can be removed with the correct tool and with the collected blocks almost every building can be erected—only the imagination is the limit.
Metest games can be downloaded from the official Minetest forums.
- A big cube-based world to discover (ca. 60000 blocks in every dimension)
- Procedurally generated world
- Singleplayer mode and online multiplayer mode
- Server list
- Sophisticated modding system
- Relatively low system requirements
Features of Minetest Game:
- Multiple biomes to discover
- Deep ground with 7 different minerals and lava
- 6 tool strengths from wood to diamond
- Creative mode in which (almost) all items are instantly available
Minetest and Minetest Game are free software, without advertisements and free of charge.