RimWorld is a sci-fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller. Inspired by Dwarf Fortress, Firefly, FTL, and Dune.
You begin with three survivors of a shipwreck on a distant world.
Trade with passing ships.
- Construct buildings to hold living and eating spaces.
- Grow food and mine rooms into the rock.
- Decorate your colony to make it into a pleasurable space.
- Defend yourself from pirates and ravenous creatures (especially squirrels).
- Weather storms and fight fires.
- Capture refugees or prisoners and turn them to your side or sell them into slavery.
Your colonists are not professional settlers – they’re crashlanded survivors from a passenger liner destroyed in orbit. You can end up with a nobleman, an accountant, and, a housewife. You’ll acquire more colonists by capturing them in combat and turning them to your side, buying them from slave traders, or taking in refugees. So your colony will always be a motley crew.
Each person’s background is tracked and affects how they play. A nobleman will be great at social skills (recruiting prisoners, negotiating trade prices), but refuse to do physical work. A farm oaf knows how to grow food by long experience, but cannot do research. A nerdy scientist is great at research, but cannot do social tasks at all. A genetically engineered assassin can do nothing but kill – but he does that very well.