I think Steam is good for GNU/Linux gamers for several reasons:
- Promotes the port of games.
- Helps to enhance drivers and libraries.
- Makes GNU/Linux more visible in the videogames industry.
However I don't use it because of the DRM. In the way it works, I don't even see Steam as a platform to buy games, but a platform to rent games instead.
- Microsoft decides to monopolize it's store and Steam disappears? You lose all the games.
- Valve decides our market is no profitable? You lose all the games.
- You didn't respect the EULA? You lose all the games.
- Gave has a bad day? You lose all the games.
- The network connection is down? You (temporarily) lose all the games.
Yes, there are some DRM-free games in Steam, but you don't need Steam to get them and there are more friendly places around.
By the way about gog.
These games you may at any moment copy to any other PC because so decided publisher.
Steam for me it is primarily a user-friendly service, which makes many things easier. Buy, download (even if you are far away from the PC), sync, network games, comunity and other.
I think that games can be forgiven proprietary.
How do you think - would be thinking about in CryTek about porting CryENGINE on Linux, if not for Steam?
Nobody forces you to use Steam, but his role in the modern gaming industry is undeniable. And porting it to Linux will only benefit Linux-gamers.
P.S. Sory for my еnglish.
Forum topic: Adobe AIR 2.6
you can run air apps with the SDK https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Adobe_AIR
>In the first place Steam is disribution platform.
>If you want to play not only in rougelike, you have to accept DRM systems.
yeah just like GOG and look at their huge DRM-Free game cataloge...
Thats not true, the users will always decide with their wallet.
For me heavy DRM is a NO-go but the old cd-key based ones (eg: Doom3/Quake4/Prey) were OK for me.
But the newer ones are bullshit because:
I want to own my games and I want to be able to play them even if the service discontinues or the game is removed.
I love to move my games around eg. an USB Pendrive/Hard disk to play them on another PC.
I don't want to waste my PC-power for another background process that is completly unnecessary for the game.
I hate to share information about me or my installed Programs and services to a unknown third party.
anyway, it's your decision to agree to their EULA - but don't cry if something goes wrong...
In the first place Steam is disribution platform.
Yes, it has DRM, but use it or not - publisher chooses.
And DRM there is not rigid.
If you want to play not only in rougelike, you have to accept DRM systems.
Forum topic: Questverse on Lgdb
TEXT EXTRACTED FROM THE CONTEST LINK ABOVE:
QUESTVERSE FACEBOOK CONTEST
How about winning the art you always wanted as wallpaper for your smartphone and still help the Questverse project?
The art can range from a caricature of yourself to a more abstract wallpaper and will be UNIQUE
To participate all you have to do is:
1 - Like and share the contest post on facebook
2 - Bring the greatest number of friends to like the facebook page of the project(the button at the top of the page) you can.
3 - Tell your friends which they must tell on the contest facebook post your facebook name, so I can know they were sent by you.
The competition will go from august 11 to September 11.
* The art of the winner must follow the style presented at the facebook page photo gallery
* Ensure you can transfer the art made according to your specifications to your cellphone. Some models do not allow custom wallpapers, cannot access internet or don't have bluetooth.
* Your friends must really like the project, they cannot undo their likes from the facebook page
* You must bring at least 3 friends
* Your friends must not say your name more than once each