Minetest is an almost infinite voxel-based world sandbox game and a game engine. The basic gameplay consists of digging and building blocks, crafting new tools out of the materials you found, smelting stuff in a furnace and possibly battling other players.
Minetest is inspired by InfiniMiner, Minecraft and the like. It has been in development and use since October 2010.
Minetest has been designed with older hardware in mind.
It is Free and Open Source Software, released under the LGPL, available for Linux, FreeBSD, OS X and Windows.
- Walk around, dig and build in an almost infinite voxel world, and craft stuff from raw materials to help you along the way.
- Simplistic Modding API that supports many kinds of additions and modifications to the game.
- Multiplayer support for tens of players, via servers hosted by users.
- Voxel based lighting with gameplay consequences (light caves and buildings with torches)
- Supports multiple languages.